Post : Budget Operations Officer
Ministry : Ministry of Finance
Reporting to : Budget Director
Term : as per Contract
Working Hours: 36 Hrs/Week
CS Grade : 6
Salary : 502 USD
Duty Station : Baidoa
- Purpose of the position
This position is a support position within the Budget Department of the Ministry of Finance. It has the responsibility to provide analytical scrutiny of ministry budget proposals and contribute to the budget preparation process. The Budget Operations Officer would also develop policy proposals for Cabinet of minister’s consideration.
Duties include: Assisting with the overall budget process by setting the budget ceiling, scrutiny of Ministry budget proposals for inclusion in the annual budget, ongoing monitoring of Ministries budget proposals, ongoing monitoring and review of budget spending throughout the year and assisting with the development of budget policy proposals.
The incumbent will provide impartial, accurate and timely budget information as and when requested by the Treasurer.
- Responsibilities & Duties
The Budget Operations Officer, Budget Operations will:
- Carry out their duties in relation to budget preparation support, monitoring and review of budget to ensure high standards are maintained at all times. This includes:
- Ensuring that the public financial legislation financial management procedures and policies are adhered to in the performance of duties and in delivering services.
- Maintaining and ensuring compliance with standard operating policies and procedures with respect to recording and reporting of financial information
- Assisting with the preparation of the Southwest’s budget in accordance with the Public Financial Management Decree:
- Preparing the budget preparation framework paper and initial budget circular, setting the ceiling budget and distributing to the Ministries seeking budget submissions
- Consulting with the Customs and Taxation Department to obtain the Revenue measures and estimates for inclusion in the annual budget presentation
- Assisting with the preparation of the Proposed Budget and accompanying documents to the Council of Ministers and the Legislature.
- Analysing Ministry budget proposals for inclusion in the annual budget
- Assisting with the entering of the budget data into the FMIS, which includes:
- Entering of the approved budget
- Processing of budget allotment releases
- Entering of budget reallocations
- Entering of supplementary budget data
- Monitoring of budget against actual spending throughout the year:
- Reviewing the data within the FMIS to ensure reported accurately, carrying out regular review and reconciliation of balances and liaising with other Managers to obtain relevant information and reports in support of these balances.
- Ensuring adequate work papers and supporting records are maintained to support the necessary adjustments to the general ledger.
- Follow-up with Ministries in regard to spending variances against budget to obtain information in this regard, preparing regular reports for the Budget Director and Minister
- Preparation of regular budget reports for distribution to Ministries
- Preparation of budget reports to senior management, Minster and Cabinet of ministers reporting on status of budget spending highlighting and providing explanation as to any budget variances
- Assist with the Developing policy proposals for Cabinet of Minister’s consideration and supervise their implementation
- Required to perform such other duties the Budget Director may determine that are consistent with the discharge of the Department’s overall duties and responsibilities
- Qualifications and Training
- Diploma in Business Administration/Accounting, Economics and/or Financial Management
- Professional accountancy qualification (CA, ACCA, CIPFA, CPA or equivalent) – desirable
- Intermediate sound public financial management skills.- essential
- Computer literacy and familiarity with accounting software packages and in particular excel.- essential
- Learned Discipline
- Understanding of the public financial management legislation, procedures and practices where it relates to the budget process and financial reporting,
- Basic knowledge of public service functions and practices.
- Excellent understanding of budget processes
- Excellent understanding in reconciliation of financial data.
- Intermediate knowledge of computerized accounting systems
- Current public sector reforms and best practices in countries similar to Somalia
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing.
- Must be assertive and be able to easily identify, analyse and solve problems.
- Ability to plan and organize work, including special assignments in order to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to be proactive and work unsupervised
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work well in a team environment
- Required Experience
The position requires at least 2 years’ experience obtained by managing, a financial,
Public sector department or institution at an intermediate level
- Performance Criteria
The incumbent is deemed to be performing his duties effectively when:
- Budget is submitted to the Council of Ministers and Legislature within the required timeframe
- Budget data recorded in the FMIS is reconciled and up to date
- Work papers and supporting documents are maintained to meet the requirements of audit
- The Government’s financial system is accurately managed and maintained to ensure timely and accurate budget data is available to users at all times.
- IJA legislation, rules, policies and guidelines are adhered to in the performance of duties
- Budget advice and information disseminated to Ministries, Departments is accurate, timely and concise.
How to Apply
17th November 2021 and please attach only the form you filled.
- Note: Write the title of the position on the subject of your Email.